Gulls, Gulls, Gulls

 The title may be a Mötley Crüe reference but there was a lot of the black headed gulls about in Bude today. It was a nice day so we took a walk along the beach and down the canal to the marshes. So many that they took a lot of my attention today.

A black headed gull on the canal.

The more observant of you may notice the colours of the head is not black. So why the name? Well in the summer the gulls have a black head. Now in the winter plumage they have only a faint band of black. I much prefer this winter coat.

In a previous post (here) I messed with some long exposure of the owl in flight. Today gave me a great opportunity to try it on the gulls. Below are some examples which I quite like.



Flock of seagulls

As well as the gulls we saw some grey heron perched by the river.

Grey Heron

When walking along the beach we did unfortunately see a dead bird. My curiosity got the better of me, as it always does for some reason when I see a dead bird, and I went to investigate. It was a dead oystercatcer. Below is the image so scroll past if you don't want to see it.









The dead oystercatcher






Ok the dead bird has gone now.

Now to make up for the dead bird I will leave you with this bath that was in one of the fields. It seems as if it is supposed to be used as a trough but looks neglected. Its full of mud which makes me wonder if it is actually Bude's new spa and mud-bath?

The new spa in Bude

Comments