How to get a job in the field. A short guide Part one: Welcome to the Jungle.

Welcome to the Jungle.

SO you've watched all the BBC documentaries and just like all of us in this field Sir David is your main role model. You think “I want to work with wildlife” either filming, conserving, researching or something else. But where to start? Well by reading this guide you have made a good decision on beginning this new career choice. I’m in a good position to give you a guide, advice and point out its not all plain sailing, but if you stick at it its worth it.
SO who am I and why should you listen to what I have to say? Well just like you I love the natural world, always have. It wasn't until I came to study at university that I realised field work was a job choice. I had been told if I want to work with animals the only real choice is become a vet. With this drilled into me I took college courses in chemistry, biology and maths. All of which bored me. But what else was I going to do? When it came time to apply for university I didn't have the grades I needed for veterinary college (something Im so glad of today).It got me down and I had no idea what to do. I decided to see what courses my grades could get me on and I found a course in wildlife education and media which led me into a degree in zoology.
It was on my zoology course that I realised field work was what I wanted to do. I had collected data in Portugal for my honours project and absolutely loved it. I got to work outside, with wildlife, in a different country and meet like minded people.
After graduating I went to many field sites and have done some amazing jobs from walking with gorillas to catching seabirds I have had experiences I never could have dreamed of if I had become a vet. Before we get into how to land a dream job we need to face some realities.

Come back same time tomorrow to see what they are.



Comments