Diving on Ascension: Sports Diver Exam Day

All training dives were over as were the theory lessons. All that was left was the exam. After sailing through ocean diver exam (I have to admit I didn't really revise for that) I was surprised how much more advanced sports diver seemed. After the first lecture I realised I would have to revise for this one. One lesson in particular, the one on deeper diving, I felt my brain was about to explode with numbers. The actual diving I am fine with, but come to the maths involved this time and I was struggling.
A week before the exam we were given a mock to practice on. I had been doing spot revision while doing the lectures but the final week I put time aside each evening. Doing the mock I got all none math questions correct. So then I spent time on learning all the equations and sums until I had them down. I felt confident I would be fine.
Then came the exam night. I sat down and a horrible thing happened. All the equations and sums had left my head. I mean completely. I attempted the first one to come up and started to panic. Where did I start? I stopped, took a breath and a sip of tea that Bill had just brewed and made a plan. I would go through and answer the rest of the questions and return to the math ones later.
And thats what I did. By the time I reattempted the questions and the technique had magically returned.
All questions done I did a check over and was about to do a third when I thought, No, dont change anymore. As Bill took my paper to mark I was on pins and needles and had to take a short walk outside onto the cooler air to keep calm. On returning I was so pleased to find I had passed!
And all the math questions I got right! I got a few others wrong (one I stupidly misread the question) but was happy with the results.
So, there we are. I am now a BSAC sports diver. Im hoping the sea stays calm to get in the see for my first dive as a qualified sports diver. If so I will be supporting the ocean divers on their first ocean dive.


Comments